PistolTalk.ORG

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pretty good blog post about this years best scopes  (Read 288 times)

Skullcrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Phased Plasma rifle in the 40 watt range
Re: Pretty good blog post about this years best scopes
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 01:32:33 PM »

I have never DOPE'd the scope for hunting. Zero it and treat like iron sights. Adjust for distance and windage by placing the bull on the target for conditions. I am not a trained sniper and I don't have a spotter telling me windage and elevation and everything else. One days target shooting won't be like the next. Many scopes fail with the constant turret adjusting, even mid range ones.

sweater914

• Asshole of the Month Feb. 2013
  • Dweller
  • .45 ACP
Re: Pretty good blog post about this years best scopes
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 09:31:41 PM »

Gents...in all candor I was steadfast in my use and winning with Iron Sights for two reasons...
First I "seemed" to be able to run them better than most anyone I shot against
AND....I could not get myself to spend the cash for REAL QUALITY optics!

My first scope for 3 gun was a Weaver 1x3. Solid little dude that worked! ($150 back in 2000!)
My second scope for 3 gun (and probably one of the best and most overlooked) was the
IOR Valdada 1-4 Pitbull!  BIG, UGLY, Stupid Exposed turrets, but tough as nails with a reticle perfect for
the 3 gun application. ($1100 in 2008)

You will not get a tough scope for cheap, you will never get a cheap scope with good glass. You will never
know what "good glass" until you look through a real high end optic.

In so many media outlets (not here) the phrase "Good glass" is like finger nails on a black board!!!
Spoken proudly by those who generally have no clue.

In the past years I have collected several IOR's (I created a reticle for them, locking turrets and a
zoom ring detent system).

Beyond IOR, Burris (the XTRII line) has been my Go To scope. Why? Because they have the right balance of durability, optic quality and price.  I prefer to represent the "working man" as I am one.  And as MUCH as I want Kalhes, or Nightforce
or S&B or IOR...I can't justify that price point.

We are lucky to have other Burris like choices, but please be aware of names without companies.

Primary Arms? (they do not make scopes...then sell scopes) and we have others.

I share this as a "cheap scope guy" to others considering the same.

P.E. I appreciate your candor.  When I was growing up in Germany between 1985-1990, my Ole Man was the point of contact for Hahn AFB gun club, I saw CZ75's ($200 including 100rds of Blazer 9mm) stacked a dozen deep in his gun room.  The only optics I looked through before the age of 10, were Kahles, Zeiss, and Steiner binos.  Certainly a unique childhood, including tanks, sonic booms and terror threats. 

The good times came to an end 1990 when why came home to Scott AFB outside of St. Louis.  I watched my Ole Man build a Ruger M77 in .30-06 with a Leupold straight 6x scope, which I currently own.  Wonderfully accurate rifle, but not he Heim he purchased in Germany with Kahles glass. 

So, it was a point in pride to provide Quin, almost 13, a Kahles scope mounted on his first AR.  Looking through the Kahles K16i is a real treat.  The clarity and color are striking, both eyes open shooting isn't hard with the reticle.  However, everything comes at a cost, the lightweight AR I built for Quin, rifle with scope settled on $5000.  Not a small investment, but one he'll never forget. 

There are few absolutes in the gun world.  Paying for top tier optics however is still a benchmark.  Like Ispy alluded to, start spending in excess of $1200 you'll have a excellent low power overall optic. 

My main issue with Vortex has been, unless you pony up to the HD line, you're paying for middle of road optics and we'll fix it, if it isn't right, if you catch it. 

My Ole Man's Zeiss lost it's nitrogen during Katrina, the Fatherland demanded the scope returned after being notified of it's failure.  It was sent back to Germany, not to the US home office to fix it.  Zeiss fixed the scope at no cost, not quite 30 YEARS after it failed.  Now that's customer service.  Probably doesn't hurt our last name is Schudrowitz.