PistolTalk.ORG

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Savage MK 2 any experience?  (Read 88 times)

mach1337

• Man of Sparta, Asshole for Aug, 2013.
  • Denizen
  • .500 S&W
  • Winner of the "Man of Sparta" award, 6-10-12
Savage MK 2 any experience?
« on: January 07, 2018, 01:36:50 PM »

Hey guys been awhile. But I wanted to see if any of you have experience with the Savage MK2 rifle series. The local Big 5 has one in camo with a cheap scope for $289 and Im seriously considering picking it up.

I want a good accurate bolt action .22lr and im seriously considering the CZ 455, Savage MK 2 and Steyr RFR. I really like the Steyr but cant find much on them or one to play with for that matter.
“Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware.” -Unknown
"Be polite, Be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet!" Gen james Mattis USMC
Move and shoot is an essential skill. Competition truly brings out the best in you, you don't have to finish in the top three but have to finish well enough to know if bad comes to you have the skill to put it down.

Axxe55

• Denizen
  • .50-70 Government
Re: Savage MK 2 any experience?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 04:03:57 PM »

i have the Savage Model 93r17 in 17 HMR. from what i understand, the Mk 2 and the model 93 are essentially the same basic action with some minor differences. i have heard the Model 93's are supposedly a little better made and more accurate than the Mk 2 models, but i have no proof as to if that is true or not.

but, what i will say is this, i bought mine as combo deal about 2004 for about $260 plus tax. since then i have replaced the stock with a Boyd's laminated stock, a Rifle Basix trigger sear, an a BSA Sweet 17 scope in 6-18x40 and new rings. i have about a little over $600 in the rifle now. it's a damned accurate rifle. IMO it was money well spent.

now the problem i have with most rim-fire rifles are they just don't fit me. they feel like a child's gun to me. changing the stock on mine to the Boyd's was the best money i did spend on that rifle. it now fits me and feels like an adult sized rifle. some people have suggested i spend more money and buy a higher quality rifle and i wouldn't have that problem. not true at all. even some of the more expensive rim-fire rifles still do not fit me. so a stock change would still be needed for me, or at least a modification of some sort.

but if i were in the market for a bolt action 22 lr, i'd look at the Savage Model 93's as well. at some point in the near future, i would like to add back into my collection a 22 Mag. again, and the Savage Model 93 is the one that would be the front line contender at being considered.