PistolTalk.ORG

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2017 buck deer measurement  (Read 109 times)

Momo556

• Denizen
  • .45 ACP
2017 buck deer measurement
« on: January 23, 2018, 10:26:45 PM »

After a long 2 month wait I finally had my whitetail deer officially scored.  It grossed 215-3/8 and netted 195-5/8.  Which is good enough for the Boone and Crockett All-Time record book.  I barely squeaked in by 5/8" but I will take it.  I still can't believe I got that lucky, for it was mostly luck.  I have hunted this property many times and have gone days without seeing any deer.  On this particular day, the stars, the moon and the entire universe all lined up in harmony to present me with a once in three lifetimes opportunity.  It just goes to show that you never know what might just show up and it can happen to anyone.  I didn't have my tinks 69 deer lure, mcwhorter custom rifle, fancy smancy tree stand, high falootin grunt call or some state of the art scent eliminator clothes on.  I just happened to be that guy in the woods, sitting on a padded 5 gallon bucket, with a rifle I pieced together shooting reloaded ammunition wearing old fashioned BDU's.  Don't misconstrue this as bragging, construe this as anyone can get lucky.
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Momo556

• Denizen
  • .45 ACP
Re: 2017 buck deer measurement
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 10:32:57 PM »

Tale of the tape
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Momo556

• Denizen
  • .45 ACP
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:36:29 PM »

A pic you have seen before in another thread.  Regardless it is relative to the original post.
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Skullcrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Phased Plasma rifle in the 40 watt range
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 06:05:17 AM »

Awesome!   :sthumbsup:

JBC2565

• Head Chef
  • Denizen
  • .44 Magnum
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 06:21:04 AM »

Congrats!! :cheers:

TangentalStorm

• Asshole of the Month - June 2016
  • Denizen
  • .500 S&W
  • The Dumb Hillbilly AKA Musket Pimp
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 06:31:54 AM »

Oh Hell yeah!
"Never criticize a rifleman until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way he'll be barefoot and you'll be out of range." --- 95th Rifle Regiment Quote

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
 Robert Heilein

texaz

• Asshole of the Year 2013.
  • Global Moderator
  • Constantly misunderstooken
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 01:37:21 PM »

Gawd......a 215 pounder!  :shocked:

Skullcrusher

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 02:10:12 PM »

I know guys who buy the latest and greatest gear, spend tons of time and money on scouting lust looking for their trophy that they have never shot. They will sit from sun up to after sunset, peeing in bags or bottles in stands nearly 30' up and do it every year, even taking vacation from work. I know guys who spend a few thou a year on leasing property, planting food plots and will scoff at others who don't. Still, no buck like yours. They laugh at meat hunters like me who won't shoot a buck unless it is a trophy, but would rather shoot a nice doe. I know only a few guys and gals who have ever gotten a large one like that. Well done, brother!!  :cheers:

Momo556

• Denizen
  • .45 ACP
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 08:07:26 PM »

No more tape measures for this deer as the B & C official has the final word.  I had a taxidermist measure it at 224"...I thought no way that is too high.  I had my brother in law's brother (AN OUTFITTER IN PIKE COUNTY, IL who has measured at least 100 deer) measure it at 208-1/4 which pretty much gave me an idea about where he would stand in the gross score category. I share the following with you all because I consider you all friends and truly think that you would all rejoice in my LUCK.  Now, the rest of the story.  Someone's good luck is not celebrated equally as discerned from my observation of the general hunting population.  A fair population of hunters as I will not dare call them gentlemen or sportsmen have a problem with harvested deer far larger than anything they have on the wall.  Suffice it to say that I have experienced envy, jealousy and a little childlessness when sharing photos and the stories relating to the harvest with people I personally know and share the common interest of hunting.  I met another fellow last night at the B & C measurer who was having his deer scored who conveyed the same sentiment as well.  He told me he was accused of(at least 4 times) of submitting a game farm deer.  It was truly a magnificent specimen with what I would call bushes off of each main beam and did indeed, look similar to a game farm type of deer.  It grossed 195 and netted 187 being nearly symmetrical in all aspects which is truly unbelievable. What has hunting become?  The following is easy for me to put forth as I have conquered Mt. Everest... (in the eyes of misaligned driven bone collectors)

1.  The measure of a man is in no way related to the size of his trophies on the wall
2.  Horn measurements in inches have no bearing on your dick size
3.  Even the losers get lucky sometimes....including those who do not have $5K to spare for a hunting lease.
4.  When viewing your 140" trophy on the wall, would the memories and excitement you shared with family members or buddies have been amplified any                more if it would have measured 160"?
5.  Thousands of dollars in equipment does not mean you are more motivated than the other guy or more deserving of a larger than normal trophy.
6.  If you are disappointed (to the point of despair) after spending a day or 2 in the woods with nothing in the bag you might want to consider a hobby that provides a conditioned response.  Check your cell phone apps and look for "Games"
7.  No matter how hard you try, it might not be enough.  Get over it when a 12 year old shoots the deer you've had on a game camera the past 3 years.
     (i've witnessed that one as well.)  How could you not be happy for HER????
8.  You have lost your focus when you aspire to become the next TV Deer Slaying Evangelist...Don't get me started on those fake bastards.
9.  Be smart and savvy but always remember you are not in competition with your neighbor hunter.
10. Go out and enjoy the outdoors, If you harvest something, anything,...rejoice.

That is all.  Rant over.  This season has been the best of times and as you can read the tea leaves, somewhat disappointing as well. All i can say is that next season is a blank slate and all that I can ask for is that you Wish MOMO LUCK once again.  You can bank on the fact that I will be wishing you lots of luck as well in all of your hunting endeavors.  It was a pleasure to share this experience with all of you.   
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

pitbullN12ga

• Older but not necessarily wiser
  • Denizen
  • .500 S&W
  • Horribly Deplorable
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 08:50:41 PM »

:clapping: exalt exalt

I doubt exalts will get you another trophy, but I gave you some anywho  :sthumbsup:
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't-you're right"
                                  Henry Ford

Momo556

• Denizen
  • .45 ACP
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 09:37:29 PM »

I know guys who buy the latest and greatest gear, spend tons of time and money on scouting lust looking for their trophy that they have never shot. They will sit from sun up to after sunset, peeing in bags or bottles in stands nearly 30' up and do it every year, even taking vacation from work. I know guys who spend a few thou a year on leasing property, planting food plots and will scoff at others who don't. Still, no buck like yours. They laugh at meat hunters like me who won't shoot a buck unless it is a trophy, but would rather shoot a nice doe. I know only a few guys and gals who have ever gotten a large one like that. Well done, brother!!  :cheers:

Therefore I digress with my last post.  You are indeed correct Skully.
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Skullcrusher

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 12:02:09 PM »

No more tape measures for this deer as the B & C official has the final word.  I had a taxidermist measure it at 224"...I thought no way that is too high.  I had my brother in law's brother (AN OUTFITTER IN PIKE COUNTY, IL who has measured at least 100 deer) measure it at 208-1/4 which pretty much gave me an idea about where he would stand in the gross score category. I share the following with you all because I consider you all friends and truly think that you would all rejoice in my LUCK.  Now, the rest of the story.  Someone's good luck is not celebrated equally as discerned from my observation of the general hunting population.  A fair population of hunters as I will not dare call them gentlemen or sportsmen have a problem with harvested deer far larger than anything they have on the wall.  Suffice it to say that I have experienced envy, jealousy and a little childlessness when sharing photos and the stories relating to the harvest with people I personally know and share the common interest of hunting.  I met another fellow last night at the B & C measurer who was having his deer scored who conveyed the same sentiment as well.  He told me he was accused of(at least 4 times) of submitting a game farm deer.  It was truly a magnificent specimen with what I would call bushes off of each main beam and did indeed, look similar to a game farm type of deer.  It grossed 195 and netted 187 being nearly symmetrical in all aspects which is truly unbelievable. What has hunting become?  The following is easy for me to put forth as I have conquered Mt. Everest... (in the eyes of misaligned driven bone collectors)

1.  The measure of a man is in no way related to the size of his trophies on the wall
3.  Even the losers get lucky sometimes....including those who do not have $5K to spare for a hunting lease.
4.  When viewing your 140" trophy on the wall, would the memories and excitement you shared with family members or buddies have been amplified any                more if it would have measured 160"?
5.  Thousands of dollars in equipment does not mean you are more motivated than the other guy or more deserving of a larger than normal trophy.
6.  If you are disappointed (to the point of despair) after spending a day or 2 in the woods with nothing in the bag you might want to consider a hobby that provides a conditioned response.  Check your cell phone apps and look for "Games"
7.  No matter how hard you try, it might not be enough.  Get over it when a 12 year old shoots the deer you've had on a game camera the past 3 years.
8.  You have lost your focus when you aspire to become the next TV Deer Slaying Evangelist...Don't get me started on those fake bastards.
9.  Be smart and savvy but always remember you are not in competition with your neighbor hunter.
10. Go out and enjoy the outdoors, If you harvest something, anything,...rejoice.

That is all.  Rant over.  This season has been the best of times and as you can read the tea leaves, somewhat disappointing as well. All i can say is that next season is a blank slate and all that I can ask for is that you Wish MOMO LUCK once again.  You can bank on the fact that I will be wishing you lots of luck as well in all of your hunting endeavors.  It was a pleasure to share this experience with all of you.   

Most excellent post, MOMO!

As far as the TV guys, one of the bigger names came here 3 hears ago and hunted some farm land about 6 miles away. He made bank on charging $30 per ticket to attend a "seminar" he conducted at a local HS auditorium. Sold out at probably 200 seats. I guy I know went to it, and he said the "seminar" was more about selling gear than it was about hunting. I asked the guy how much more about hunting did the guy know than him. He said, "He's on TV." The "professional" hunter filmed 3 days of hunting and shot a nice 8 point. Huge bodied buck, but only an 8 point. This is SE Ohio and most hunters I know will not shoot an 8 point. Just across the river in WV, they shoot spikes and 4 pt bucks during buck season. I tell them that is the reason there are very little huge bucks in WV. I have passed on bucks in favor of a nice doe. To me, the deer are here for meat, not for the wall. Now, had I seen that buck you got, I would have shot it and been totally geeked out.

I hear stories from some of the same huge money spenders about how their Grandfather shot a few trophies. I will always ask them if Gramps wore the latest and greatest scent cover gear, used a $1000 bow and had trail cams. They usually don't like the question.

I will be honest, I did geek out a bit when I saw the pic of your monster. Deer of a lifetime, brother!

Momo556

• Denizen
  • .45 ACP
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »

Most excellent post, MOMO!

As far as the TV guys, one of the bigger names came here 3 hears ago and hunted some farm land about 6 miles away. He made bank on charging $30 per ticket to attend a "seminar" he conducted at a local HS auditorium. Sold out at probably 200 seats. I guy I know went to it, and he said the "seminar" was more about selling gear than it was about hunting. I asked the guy how much more about hunting did the guy know than him. He said, "He's on TV." The "professional" hunter filmed 3 days of hunting and shot a nice 8 point. Huge bodied buck, but only an 8 point. This is SE Ohio and most hunters I know will not shoot an 8 point. Just across the river in WV, they shoot spikes and 4 pt bucks during buck season. I tell them that is the reason there are very little huge bucks in WV. I have passed on bucks in favor of a nice doe. To me, the deer are here for meat, not for the wall. Now, had I seen that buck you got, I would have shot it and been totally geeked out.

I hear stories from some of the same huge money spenders about how their Grandfather shot a few trophies. I will always ask them if Gramps wore the latest and greatest scent cover gear, used a $1000 bow and had trail cams. They usually don't like the question.

I will be honest, I did geek out a bit when I saw the pic of your monster. Deer of a lifetime, brother!

IT was a great experience no doubt but I never really realized what is inside of some of these hunter's heads with regard to their perspective about hunting until this stroke of luck happened.  It took the wind out of my sails a bit. I'm not looking for pity or any thing like that.  I just expected a little different reaction from the people in my environment.  I guess (envy/jealousy) is an ingrained human trait amongst some and I should have expected such. To have harvested a 130" deer that day would have been considered a great day by my standards and inline with hopeful expectations......the very same as the thousands of other people on that very same day.  I guess some think about the money they have invested and lose perspective.  Well, no amount of money can buy a world class deer.   If it could you would see it happen all the time on tv.  With all that I have said about this, the fact remains that I was just crap house lucky and in no different a boat than anyone else.  Skully, you think YOU got geeked out?!!!   Anyway, I am sure everyone is about sick of hearing about this, just want to give fair warning to any and all of you if you ever happen to strike gold. 
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Skullcrusher

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 04:35:52 PM »

I for one will never tire of hearing about this. Nor will I tire of looking at the pics.  :cheers: